Plymouth was settled in 1825, incorporated in 1867 and became a city in 1932. Plymouth derives its name from historical ties to Plymouth, Massachusetts, the area from which some of the local settlers had come.
Territorial Governor Cass approved the name "Plymouth" in April, 1827, at which time Plymouth was established as a super township comprising the areas which are now Plymouth, Canton and Northville.
The south part of the area - Township Two South - was referred to as "South Plymouth” and later separated from Plymouth to Canton Township in 1834.
When John Kellogg arrived in Plymouth in 1832 from New York State, he built the Plymouth House on the corner of Ann Arbor Trail and Main Street, facing the Village Green, now known as Kellogg Park.