Click to Home

Go To Search
Connect With UsFacebookTwitterYouTube
History
South Main Street at Penniman Avenue, showing the Plymouth United Savings Bank (now Kids Play Cafe) next to the Drug store.
South Main Street at Penniman Avenue, showing the Plymouth United Savings Bank (now Greek Islands Coney Restaurant) next to the Drug store.
The Beginning
Plymouth was settled in 1825, incorporated in 1867 and became a city in 1932.  Plymouth derives its name from historical ties to Plymouth, Massachusetts, the area from which some of the local settlers had come. 

Different Territories

Territorial Governor Cass approved the name "Plymouth" in April, 1827, at which time Plymouth was established as a super township comprising the areas which are now Plymouth, Canton and Northville.

 

The south part of the area - Township Two South - was referred to as "South Plymouth” and later separated from Plymouth to Canton Township in 1834.


John Kellogg

When John Kellogg arrived in Plymouth in 1832 from New York State, he built the Plymouth House on the corner of Ann Arbor Trail and Main Street, facing the Village Green, now known as Kellogg Park.


About the Toll Roads

Before the railroad came into Plymouth, a toll road, the “Plymouth Plank Road” carried travelers to and from the area. Half of the width of the road was “planked,” while the other half was dirt. The plank side was only for heavy-laden wagons going to the market.


Photos and More History

Photos in this section were provided by Plymouth Historical Museum. For more information on the history of Plymouth please visit the following link: